guix-devel

Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 10:42:33 -0800

On 2023-01-06, Simon Tournier wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2023 at 22:11, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps a description would for the team(s) would help a bit here.  I
>> see embedded as dealing with bootloaders or firmware commonly used on
>> embedded systems, and perhaps cross-compilers?
>
> Well, currently the ’team’ record contains the description field.  So it
> can be expanded if it helps.

Right, there was no description for the "Embedded / Bootstrap" team
... so basically asking what the intention of the team is (and a little
confused at the co-mingling of two seemingly distinct teams, at least in
my mind).

>> I wonder if the team.scm script could also have a few regexps in it for
>> the patch description. For example, "deterministic" or "reproducible"
>> might be a useful search term for my recently proposed Reproducible
>> Builds team, which otherwise would only be interested in a small pool of
>> reproducible builds tooling packages, but reproducible builds issues
>> actually could be relevent for all packages in guix.
>
> I guess something like,
>
>     ./etc/teams.scm list-teams | recsel -q deterministic
>
> should list the teams where ’deterministic’ appears.  It is far from
> being perfect but it allows minimal queries.

More I wanted to look through the patch text rather than the package
descriptions. It would ideally catch things like "reproducible" or
"deterministic" in comments in patches as well as git commit summary.

>> Lastly, I use the name "Vagrant Cascadian" with my contributions to
>> guix, but I may use a different email address depending on the nature of
>> the contribution (e.g. reproducible builds). I am not sure what would
>> happen if I added "Vagrant Cascadian" twice, with two different email
>> addresses. Does it handle that reasonably?
>
> You would like to have an email address different depending on the
> team, right?
>
> Currently, a person (record <person>) has one name (string) and one
> email (string) and then this person is part of one more teams (list).
>
> Well, it is not implemented but the macro ’define-member’ could be
> tweaked to associate one email to one team for a person, I guess.

If a "person" is identified by "name"+"email" then it should be fine. I
was worried if a "person" is identified solely by "name".

Defining myself as two persons with the same name and different email
addresses works for my needs, if that is indeed how it works!

live well,
  vagrant