guix-devel

Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:32:20 -0800

On 2023-01-09, Simon Tournier wrote:
> On ven., 06 janv. 2023 at 10:42, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>> More I wanted to look through the patch text rather than the package
>> descriptions. It would ideally catch things like "reproducible" or
>> "deterministic" in comments in patches as well as git commit summary.
>
> Well, IIUC, your point would be to have teams based on “topic“ referred
> by search term in patches.  Why not, although it is far to be
> implemented, I guess. ;-)

Sure, it is wishing for a feature, on the hopes that someone more savvy
with parens sees the value and implements it. :)

> BTW, I would recommend to give a look at lei [1,2] from the Guix package
> public-inbox.  For instance, over the last 12 months, all patches
> containing the terms ’r-build-system’ and ’reproducible’,
>
> 1. Extract from a public-inbox instance:
>
>     guix shell public-inbox \
>          -- lei q --threads --dedupe=mid \
>          -I https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/ -o /tmp/Mail/patches \
>          'dfn:gnu/packages AND b:r-build-system AND b:reproducible AND
> rt:12.months.ago..'
>
> 2. Read it with a mail reader support Maildir:
>
>     guix shell neomutt -- neomutt -f /tmp/Mail/patches
>

> where
>
>    dfn:     match filename from diff
>    b:       match within message body, including text attachments
>    rt:      match date-time range, git "approxidate" formats supported
>             Open-ended ranges such as `d:last.week..' and `d:..2.days.ago'
>             are supported

Thanks for the examples! I have tried to wrap my head around
public-inbox and related tooling, as it seems extremely
useful. Hopefully this gets me into actually using it. :)

Though using public-inbox is obviously working at it from the other end,
not getting CCed on things but having to rummage through the heap of
patches to find them. :)

live well,
  vagrant