guix-devel

Some team related thoughts and questions...

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Some team related thoughts and questions...
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 22:11:17 -0800

I filed a couple patches related to teams recently, which pointed out a
few things about the teams process to me...

First off, I wonder if there is (or it is worth creating) a way to make
the scope of a team more fine-grained... e.g. I think the Embedded team
would want to be notified of changes to gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm,
for the u-boot-* packages, but maybe not for grub? Similar also for the
arm-trusted-firmware-* or opensbi packages, but maybe not for
ath9k-htc-firmware (although the case could be made that that is an
embedded system unto itself).

I also wonder about splitting Embedded and Bootstrap into separate
teams; some things are obviously one or the other, but I do not, at
least in my mind, see the overlap.

Perhaps a description would for the team(s) would help a bit here.  I
see embedded as dealing with bootloaders or firmware commonly used on
embedded systems, and perhaps cross-compilers?

Is the Bootstrap team ... bootstrapping a new language compiler family?
bootstrapping a system from scratch? Yes to both? What is it's scope?

I wonder if the team.scm script could also have a few regexps in it for
the patch description. For example, "deterministic" or "reproducible"
might be a useful search term for my recently proposed Reproducible
Builds team, which otherwise would only be interested in a small pool of
reproducible builds tooling packages, but reproducible builds issues
actually could be relevent for all packages in guix.

Lastly, I use the name "Vagrant Cascadian" with my contributions to
guix, but I may use a different email address depending on the nature of
the contribution (e.g. reproducible builds). I am not sure what would
happen if I added "Vagrant Cascadian" twice, with two different email
addresses. Does it handle that reasonably?

It would be a little awkward to add a "Vagrant Cascadian (reproducible
builds)" in the name field but I guess that might be a trivial
workaround if having "Vagrant Cascadian" twice causes issues.

live well,
  vagrant