Re: Tramp 2.0.36 on Red Hat 8.0

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp 2.0.36 on Red Hat 8.0
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:03:26 +0200

Charles Curley <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I just installed Tramp 2.0.36 on Red Hat 8.0 (GNU Emacs 21.2.1) as
> updated. Everything went very well; thank you all for a wonderful
> product. I just used it to edit some files on a machine that I
> previously couldn't use tramp on.
>
> A few notes:
>
> * The folks at Red Hat tend to move files around on you. RH 8.0 stores
>   info in /usr/share/info/, and site-lisp at
>   /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp. This means that using the same prefix
>   for info and elisp doesn't work. I solved the problem by using mv to
>   get the info file where I wanted it. Also, BTW, I compressed it, so
>   that it is now tramp.info.gz. You might want to have two .configure
>   variables for pathology, one for the info directory, the other for
>   the site-lisp directory, rather than the current --prefix.

Hmm, I will try to extend configure a little bit next days. 'Cause I
don't run RH by myself, I'ld like to (mis)use you as tester. Is it OK?

> * The installation did not integrate the info page into
>   /usr/share/info/dir. I guess that problem will go away when Emacs
>   21.4 comes out. This is a minor issue as one can always use "info -f
>   /usr/share/info/tramp.info.gz" or equivalent.

See the info at "(tramp)Load paths".

> * So far I have not seen any problems saving files with RH 8.0, but I
>   haven't tried saving any large files. For this purpose, what's a
>   large file? Or is that issue
>   (http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2003-04/msg00008.html)
>   solved?

"Large" files seem to start upper 500 Bytes. I wouldn't say the
problem is solved, because there's no automatism to detect on which
systems it is necessary to set `tramp-chunksize'. Tramp tries to keep
a "blacklist" of system types where it is necessary. This list is very
short until now: just "hpux" found its way there. If you know other
candidates for that list, please report. A simple test you can find
with "C-h v tramp-chunksize".