ac-archive-maintainers

Re: News about the macro archive

From: Bastiaan Veelo
Subject: Re: News about the macro archive
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:13:11 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:

> I've actually been putting

> dnl @license
> dnl   Copying and distribution of this file, with or without
> dnl   modification, are permitted in any medium without
> dnl   royalty provided the copyright notice and this notice
> dnl   are preserved.

Please don't do that, it will break the formatter. Please
use:

 @license AllPermissive

> The reason for this is (as you pointed out) some people
> are using the macros directly from CVS, so we must ensure
> that they receive complete licence information with each
> file (i.e. either the all permissive statement or a more
> verbose GPL with exception statement).

Yes, but editing the files manually isn't good enough. We
need license information in _all_ 340+ macros, so it has to
be generated by a tool. That's what my tool is doing, and I
will run it once I know all macros are properly assigned.
If you add the license in verbatim in addition to the
@license tag, then we will end up with the license _twice_
in the macro.

If you are worried about duplication of the license, why not test for the text that Tom has been inserting? Every file _has to have_ a verbose license statement, original files as well as any generated files.

Bastiaan.