ac-archive-maintainers

Re: License notices

From: Bastiaan Veelo
Subject: Re: License notices
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:13:06 +0100

Peter,

Peter Simons wrote:

Bastiaan,

I think you may have misunderstood what I'm trying to do.
The @license keyword is a _temporary_ addition that has no
other purpose but to be replaced by a verbatim text license.
Once all macros have their correct @license assigned, I run
a tool which strips the @license tag and adds the
appropriate disclaimer instead, right at the top of the m4
source, exactly like it is in your macro.

After that, I say "cvs commit", @license is gone, and _all_
files have a correct disclaimer that looks alike everywhere
so that I can parse it reliably if I want to.

@license is not meant to be a permanent addition to the
format. The verbatim license is supposed to appear in the
sources in CVS as well as on the web site.

Yes, a misunderstanding, thank goodness. It appears I was not the only one to have misunderstood you on this point, and I hope you understand what the commotion was about. I fear the cause of the misunderstanding is that you never explained the procedure in this detail before, IIRC, and because you want to make this move in the live archive, the head branch of CVS, which I had not expected.

I will remove the verbal license text from my macro for now, and await your grand swap. I will keep my copyright notice for the time being and remove the generated one when that time comes, in order to keep the multiple years (in reference of http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html). Is that okay with you?

Let's hope the transition runs smoothly from now on! Man, comminication is hard!

With that in mind, I'll reply to your posting:

>> (2) Once we know all @license tags are properly
>> assigned, a tool can insert the multi-line, verbatim
>> text automatically, and then it is _guaranteed_ that
>> this text looks alike everywhere and that it can be
>> recognized by software.

> This is acceptable I think as long as it is in an
> intermediate stage, somewhere off-line, and files are
> equiped with a verbatim text before they go online.

I don't understand what you mean.

It is the same as you explained above, only that you do this transition while being on-line all the time, distributing every intermediate step (such as @license). This surprises me, but I am sure you have a reason for it.

>> @license [optional keyword]
>> verbose text

Multi-line keywords are a significant change to the format.
All keywords we support so far use a single line. Thus, the
format can be parsed by a line-parser (a.k.a. regex) rather
than requiring a full-blown recursive-descent parser or
other trickery. That's why I am against adding a multi-line
keyword, particularly one that we don't even need.

I am sure Guido did not understand that the @license tag is going away after the transition is done, which is probably why he proposed this mixed keyword/fulltext format.

>> All this tells me: Shit, why bother? Let the tool do it!

> Let the tool do what? Generate copyright and license
> notices in HTML? That is okay if you can. [...] But the
> most important is that the m4 _source_ is licensed!

It is. Right now, there is a big, fat @license keyword;
which is more than we had for the last six years. (And more
than sf.net does.) And in two or three weeks the entire
problem is solved.

Not a problem. I can live with just the keyword as long as I know it is intermediate.

>> [...] to insert lines of lines of redundant disclaimers
>> that say "Yeah, I really don't care what you do with
>> this software. And under no circumstances must you
>> remove this statement so that everybody knows I don't
>> care. Go figure."

> But everybody has to know that, otherwise they can not
> copy, change or distribute...

Why not? Who is gonna sue them for copyright violation? You
won't, obviously, so who is gonna sue them?

I won't, but they can not be sure.

Besides, if anyone wanted to use bnv_have_qt in some
high-profile commercial product and they weren't sure about
the exact licensing conditions ... then they'd have your
e-mail address. All this talk about how a 5 line macro in
the archive absolutely HAS to have a copyright statement and
licensing conditions spelled out in verbose is straight out
of a parallel universe for me.

It is not only high-profile commerce that should be concerned. Copyright is in effect whether you write free or non-free or commercial software. Even though we live in different universes, I am sure we'll get along in the end :-)

> I hope it is clear now!

So do I. ;-)

It is. :-)

Bastiaan.