ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Policy: Versioning Macros In The Archive

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: Policy: Versioning Macros In The Archive
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:52:51 -0500

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 16:34 +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> Braden McDaniel writes:
>
>  >> How about @category?
>  >>
>  >> Is that an internal field of the archive?
>
>  > Not as long as it's in the file I submit to you and the
>  > one downloaded by users. "Internal" things are just that:
>  > not exposed to users.
>
> So what you are saying is that if I want to have any
> internal keywords in the archive, then I have to distribute
> the m4 files without them, right? I have to keep them
> invisible, as in: they are not in CVS, they are not in the
> release archive, they are not on the website.
>
> Is that correct?

They don't have to be completely invisible (to those who go looking);
but they certainly can't be in the submitted and distributed m4 file if
they are considered "internal". If you expose them outside your own
infrastructure, people will use them for their own purposes. And with no
indication that they should not, why shouldn't they?

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>