ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Policy: Versioning Macros In The Archive

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Policy: Versioning Macros In The Archive
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:07:39 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:
> Braden McDaniel writes:
>
>  >> So what you are saying is that if I want to have any
>  >> internal keywords in the archive, then I have to distribute
>  >> the m4 files without them, right?
>
>  > [They] certainly can't be in the submitted and
>  > distributed m4 file if they are considered "internal".
>
> Alright!
>
> I consider the following keywords internal to the archive:
>
>   @obsoleted
>   @category
>   @author
>   @version
>
> These are all fields that my software uses internally and
> which need to be consistent in order for the whole thing to
> work. The only fields that my software does not use (except
> when generating the HTML page) are:
>
>   @synopsis
>   @summary
>
> Since, according to you, I can't treat any fields as
> "internal" as long as I distribute them publicly, I will
> stop distributing them. I will move all tags (except the two
> above) into a separate, internal database and strip them
> from the files in CVS so that everybody is happy.

Good lord, Peter, would you please stop overreacting,
the message to you was "stop modifying what the submitter
has given to you including the @version tag". Surely
there are two sides to what a version tag is (as the
submitter might have a longer history). That's why the
thread came into being.

On a general scale I can only rephrase the same message
again and again and again - as it is always a variation
of "the customer is always right". If there is a client /
submitter / or whoever saying "please give me a constant
version tag" then try your best to fulfill this wish. You
can sure ask him to "do it like this or that" if it does
not fit into the current mechanisms - but that's about it.

Why do you argue with clients? Do you do so on your day
job? What is your goal of impressing people?

-- cheers, guido