Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Upcoming 11.83 release

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Upcoming 11.83 release
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:45:04 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-06-04) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Ahem.  I just forgot that they are there.
>>>
>>> What I think is a bit dangerous are the rm -rf calls for deleting
>>> these directories.  A better alternative would be to abort if the
>>> directories exist and are not empty.
>>
>> They get called when you create the tarball (and only then).
>> Everything else in the upload directory is directly dependent on the
>> tarball.  It does not make sense to retain previous contents when
>> creating a new tarball.
>
> Did I write that?  It just happened to me that I lost the output of
> a former release because I did not remember the make target silently
> deletes those directories.

So what?  The tarball of _any_ release (and the corresponding tree)
can be recreated by calling the Makefile with the right release
option, since it does a checkout from tag.

> I'd move the directory deletion and recreation to a separate
> cleaning target and abort the tarball creation if the directory is
> not empty.  For the sake of stupid people like myself.

If you think this really, really, really, really necessary, go ahead.
Frankly, I don't see the point, and I found the old behavior quite
convenient.  I often have to do dozens of repetitions until I finally
get a release right and all rpms and packages have built properly and
I verified them to be basically ok and working (there is a reason that
upload itself is not part of the build targets).  Having to use an
explicit cleaning target every time is going to be quite a nuisance.

And once you actually _have_ something uploaded (and that is the point
at which it starts to make sense to retain stuff, since only then the
file names are permanently associated with particular content), you
can always get it back from the site you uploaded it to.