Re: macros for rpath support

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: macros for rpath support
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:57:22 +0200 (CEST)

Alexandre Duret-Lutz writes:

> Wouldn't it be enough to teach `config.rpath' to *not* output
> `-rpath DIR' when `DIR' is already searched by `ld.so'?
> Like Libtool does (see `$sys_lib_search_path').

The AC_LIB_LINKFLAGs macro does not output '-rpath DIR' when DIR is an
apparent known directory, such as /usr/lib or in some cases also
/usr/local/lih. But relying on $sys_lib_search_path from libtool would
be a bad idea: in some cases the value returned by libtool is wrong.
It's simply too tricky, and therefore I'm glad the AC_LIB_LINKFLAGs
macros in their current form don't need to rely on such a tricky
thing.

Bruno