Re: [avr-chat] Re: WinAvr 2005... compile problems

From: Trevor White
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: WinAvr 2005... compile problems
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:13:01 +0000

Hi.

For what is is worth....

I started off with WINAVR when getting into AVRs. It was a great start for me and to be honest I used it because it allowed me to get stuck in. I wanted to use a GNU/Linux environment but WINAVR was so useful at the start when I knew nothing that I went with it.

Now I have set my GNU/Linux system up I have converted across. It feels weird to not use WINAVR but it will always be something I have great respect for. Well I say weird, it feels great to be working under GNU/Linux but it does feel a shame that I do not use WINAVR anymore. It really was so useful to me.

My point is that it was a stepping stone for me and also my starting point. WINAVR introduced me to make files properly. It also introduced me to writing embedded C. I would prefer to be led 'properly' when I am blind. Case sensitive is a discipline that I would recommend being picked up from the start. I also feel that not using cbi() and sbi() was a good move when I read they were deprecated. I am not sure about using _BV() either. I am preferring to use the traditional method so that my C is standard and I can write portable code.

So finally, to not use case sensitive version of make is almost encouraging people to develop bad technique. Some lessons are hard at the start but benefit the person in the long run.

This is just my feelings on things. Well done all.

Many thanks

Trev

This e-Mail (and any attachments) should only be read by the intended
addressee(s) and not be relied upon without subsequent written confirmation of
its contents. International Motion Control Ltd. (IMC) accepts no liability for
the consequences of any person acting on such information prior to the receipt
of such confirmation. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not
authorised to, and must not use, disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this
message, its attachments or any part thereof. Any views or opinions expressed
are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of IMC.

International Motion Control Ltd. www.midland-acs.com www.enidine.co.uk
www.alconsolenoids.com  www.landonkingsway.com
Patrick Gregory Road, Wolverhampton, WV11 3DZ, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1902 305678   Fax: +44 (0)1902 305676