RE: [avr-chat] Re: WinAvr 2005... compile problems

From: Chuck Hackett
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] Re: WinAvr 2005... compile problems
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:38:41 -0600

> From: E. Weddington
> Yup. My other hope with WinAVR is to introduce Windows users to Open
> Source software that is also cross-platform. If a user is comfortable
> using it on Windows, perhaps they would be interested in using it on
> Linux as well. With something as fundamental as GNU Make, it would be
> better if it behaved the same on both platforms.
>
> Does anybody disagree with that?
>
> This argument alone makes me lean towards a case-sensitive make.

To me, the big problem is:  If you are developing on a Unix flavor platform and
you actually use the Unix feature that MySource.c is distinct from MySource.C
you could never compile the product on a Windows system because the two distinct
files can't coexist.  Like it or not Windows is in widespread use.  We can't
ignore this issue and still be able to support development across platforms.

Cheers,

Chuck Hackett
"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"