Re: [avr-chat] Re: WinAvr 2005... compile problems

From: Jeff Barlow
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: WinAvr 2005... compile problems
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:38:59 -0800

Chuck Hackett <address@hidden>  wrote:

>If you're running on a Windows system it 'A' IS equal to 'a', at least as far
>as
>the file system is concerned.

It might be more correct to say that the windows file system
behaves AS IF 'A' == 'a'. IMHO, this is just evidence that it's
broken. You're entitled to your own subjective viewpoint, of
course.

>If you only want to write products for Unix flavor systems that's fine

I don't write 'products'. I'm retired. I just do this stuff for
personal gratification. In any case, we're discussing writing
code for AVRs. It's not for *nix or windows.

>again, if you rely on the fact that "MySource.c" is distinct from "MySource.C"

As Joerg says: "Nobody [in his right mind] would really do that."

>If you were to publish a library for C programs named "GreatLib.c" and another
>version in the same release directory called "GreatLib.C" for C++ programs you
>would not be able to sell it to Windows users.

That's clearly nothing more than a rhetorical red herring, and I
suspect you knew that as you were writing it. Anyone with half a
clue, who's trying to sell a library package, would make it as
cross platform compatible as they could. The clueless deserve to
fail.

Having make work consistently on all platforms is obviously a
positive thing. Are you really trying to dispute that, or are you
merely being ornery?

--
Later,
Jeff