[avr-gcc-list] Re: Using multiple versions of AVR Studio (was Re: crosst

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Using multiple versions of AVR Studio (was Re: crosstool-NG)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:43:45 +0100

On 04/03/11 23:23, johnea wrote:
On 03/04/2011 02:03 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM, johnea<address@hidden>  wrote:
Another vote for VirtualBox...

Which version? Before or after 4?

About a year old version: virtualbox_bin 3.1.6-1

It's the "VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL)"

Which is a non-free-as-in-freedom binary distribution (yes, it's a
little icky, but we are talking about running windoze here)

Last time I checked, the USB was one of the primary advantages of
running the PUEL version versus the community version (which is
GPL'd).

johnea

Sorry to but in on this thread after a week (I've been on holiday), especially as it's off-topic, but I hope it is useful information.

The "personal use" license for VirtualBox is /very/ permissive. It may be that Oracle will change things in the future (though there is no sign of that at the moment), but Sun let you use the "personal use" license for most commercial usage. About the only thing that you couldn't do was set up a server system with multiple people connecting to multiple VirtualBox'es.

Version 4 is quite an improvement over version 3. One of the things they did was a rationalisation of the GPL and PUEL parts of VirtualBox - now VirtualBox itself is entirely GPL, and the non-GPL parts are distributed as an extension package.