Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complain

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:13:21 -0500

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:46:53PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I'm a bit sceptical of Yet Another Doc Converter, as doxygen has
> shown us (in avr-libc) that we often enough ended up with wanting
> more than the automatic conversion could provide for us.  I'm
> currently more inclined to use docbook directly for avr-libc.  As
> Eric Raymond's tool could save all the existing man page work for
> avrdude into docbook format, it seems to be an option to me here,
> too.

I could go for that, especially if it can generate the man page.  Man
pages are just so darn convenient for 3 out of our 4 platforms, that I
hate to lose it.

Do you have any experience with that tool?

I think the docbook tools are pretty heavy weight also.  But at least
we can make make the building of the doc optional, like Colin's
propose patch (and my slight modification to invert the sense of the
option).  I think we already have tentative agreement at least for
that to go in and I've seen you and Eric also give support for that.

So what docbook would give us would be the ability to not have to
duplicate the doc efforts to maintain both the texi and man documents,
yet still have the benefits of both: convenient man pages for Unix as
well as PDF or other more portable formats.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers