Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complain

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:07:44 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

As E. Weddington wrote:

Oh, heck, it looks like it's been under our noses after all:
OpenOffice.org <http://www.zzoss.com/projects/oowdbk/>

Hmm, I'm not particular fond of OO.o (or that kind of tools in
general), but perhaps it's really an idea.  After all, OO.o operates
as an XML editor by default.  As long as it doesn't poison the
generated docbook files with hard offsets etc. (as it does for the
generated OO.o XML documents), it might work.

One thing I hope can't be arranged for is a decent indenting.  OO.o
XML documents itself aren't indented at all, everything is there
within a single line. :-/  (Apart from that, the ability to edit
their XML code directly in Emacs has already been quite helpful to
me a number of times.)

I was just taking a look, you can save the files as "DocBook(simplified)". I'm not sure what "simplification" they offer; though I can understand if this feature is just not complete yet. In theory, we should be able to save the DocBook formatted file in CVS, then retrieve it, edit it in OO.o, and store it back to CVS. OO.o also can write out a PDF too. We can use xmlto to convert to man page (hopefully, I have no idea about formatting issues). The only missing piece is a scripted DocBook->PDF conversion for Windows (Cygwin). It can be done manually I suppose and a .pdf put up in download area, but I admit, it's not the cleanest solution.

And yes, the DocBook format it produces, from what I can tell, is on a single line. But I was told (by Simon Steele, author of PN) that the XML format, technically should all be on a single "line". So that may just be part of the format we have to live with.

Eric