Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complain

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:41:45 +1100

E. Weddington wrote:
Joerg Wunsch wrote:

As E. Weddington wrote:

Another option, that I'm exploring for both a "WinAVR user manual"
and for avr-libc, is the use of AsciiDoc (google for it). It's a
text file, with very minimal formatting that gets translated by the
"asciidoc" program, a Python script, and it can output HTML and
Docbook (as well as LinuxDoc).
I'm a bit sceptical of Yet Another Doc Converter, as doxygen has shown
us (in avr-libc) that we often enough ended up with wanting more than
the automatic conversion could provide for us.  I'm currently more
inclined to use docbook directly for avr-libc.

I understand.

So far, my only objection with using DocBook directly is just trying find a decent editor (in Windows) that can handle the format. The format is pretty verbose if you have to write it raw.

My only limitation that I currently have is figuring out how to convert DocBook to PDF. Cygwin doesn't seem to have a quick and easy solution out of the box. The "xmlto" that comes with Cygwin can convert DocBook to FO (among other things), but it stops there. No direct to PDF.

If anyone knows of a solution to this I would be most grateful.

My only other reasoning for AsciiDoc is that what it provides is "good enough", at least for the WinAVR user manual.

A way to make man and info pages from the one input file would be to
combine them both and strip them apart with a small script when the
docs are built.

Any text following a marker such as: ###---### MAN would be stripped
into a file for man-page processing, and any text following ###---### INFO
would be stripped into a file for texinfo processing, and any text
following ###---### MAN-INFO would end up in both.