[Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor and Axiom

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor and Axiom
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:59:15 +0100

How do we resolve things like Aldor's libalgebra vs. Axiom's
libraries?

I would propose that we forget about Aldor's native libraries for
now (as nice, though limited, as they are).

If I knew where to hook libaldor into Axiom, I would already have done so. But libaldor basically starts from zero and for Axiom the whole construction of the domains and categories is still mystical to me.

In any case if SPAD should be translated to Aldor one has to start with some domain or category. There should be a clear cut. Something that the compiler knows and something that is added through libraries. If that interface is clear than we can talk again about whether we use the Aldor libraries or not.

Are we planning to completely document and update the SPAD compiler?

I would choose "no", although if time or experienced people became
available this might be interesting for historical reasons.

I would also choose "no".

It seems that we will somehow start in the middle. Introduce a cutpoint and work up the ladder to build the Algebra. And maybe work down in order to also write the basic code in Aldor until the bootstrapping problem is shifted to bootstrapping the aldor compiler.

a)  Document SPAD compiler, foundations in mathematical theory,
core structures of Axiom algebra
b)  Identify and document "core" functionality, which is to say
functionality which a large part of the Axiom system depends on. Debug code and concepts, possibly implement unit test
framework.
c)  Work our way up the ladder, so to speak.  Higher level
functionality documented as the underpinnings become well
documented and well defined.

I would replace a) with conversion of the Axiom library to
Aldor, but the rest seems great to me.

Yes, Cliff, that's it. Axiom needs a kind of future plan. And translating SPAD to Aldor is a clear task in my eyes. That will probably take several years anyway, since documentation should be added at the same time.

Ralf