[Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor and Axiom

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor and Axiom
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:46:41 +0100

Hi Cliff,

Agreed.  Am I correct that the logical starting point is to identify
where the compiler ends and the math begins (whether it is set/category
theory or Axiom's domain and cagetory implementation or whatever) and
get the core parts documented and working on top of Aldor?

Yes, I think that is a starting point, but it is not that simple.
The logical reason why there are two libraries in Aldor (libaldor and libalgebra) is that the first one just provides basic functionality. libaldor is a kind of low-level library.

Manuel Bronstein once explained to me that libaldor is just a non-mathematical library. Every mathematics comes in libalgebra. In libaldor's design, speed was one issue. For example, Array indexing starts at zero and thus maps without overhead to C-arrays. That causes a little confusion at first, but if one works with Matrix from libalgebra, the minimal index is 1.

There is not need to use Array except to use it as a datastructure to store objects. If one needs a mathematical object than one should say so, for example choose Vector (which has minimal index 1).

I'd happy to translate libaldor into pamphlets. (Of course, help is appreciated.)

Ralf