bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] VLC and audio CD's

From: Joel Molin
Subject: [bongo-devel] VLC and audio CD's
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:20:51 +0200

Hi All,

I wanted to listen to an audio CD today, and since I never really
tried it in bongo I gave it a go.  I have some thoughts though.

First of all, `i C' was the first problem, really minor though.  It's
not in the welcome message, and my first instinct was `i c', which is
unbound.  Experimental?  Forgotten?

I did not write this mail for that though.  I just wanted to inform of
some problems I had along the way.

When I had inserted the CD into the playlist in my freshly pulled
version with VLC enabled and mplayer out of the way (I had an old
version of bongo with mplayer first, it didn't work, sounded like a
buffer underrun, good riddance I guess) there was no sound coming out
of my speakers when I hit RET.

After some time trying to figure out VLC and Bongo's internals, I
understood that the audio tracks were enqueued as `cdda://@1',
`cdda://@2', and so on.  Problem is, VLC didn't understand what my
system default cd device was, but accepts names like
`cdda:///dev/address@hidden'.  I got around this by adding bongo-cd-device
whenever that substring was empty in the translator function placed
there from another bug, this is what I did in a uninformative darcs
diff:

{
hunk ./bongo.el 4867
-      (list (concat "cdda://" (match-string 1 file-name)
+      (list (concat "cdda://" (if (string= "" (match-string 1 file-name))
+                                  bongo-cd-device
+                                (match-string 1 file-name))
}

I also had to customize `bongo-cd-device'.

Anyway, I don't know if there were some other thing I could've done,
maybe set the default in VLC somehow, maybe it's just me.  My patch
isn't great, because it needs bongo-cd-device to be customized or
bongo will still fail silently.  Just thought I would share my
experience.

Joel Molin -- long-time fan