bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: VLC and audio CD's

From: Joel Molin
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC and audio CD's
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:39:33 +0200

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Joel,
>
>> First of all, `i C' was the first problem, really minor though.  It's
>> not in the welcome message, and my first instinct was `i c', which is
>> unbound.  Experimental?  Forgotten?
>
> Without addressing the point of your message, the reasoning
> behind this binding is that similar track types would get
> similar bindings.  For example, `V' for VCD and `D' for DVD.
> This avoids the conflict between `DVD' and `directory'.
>
> If we collapse `i f', `i d', `i t', `i u' and `i l' into `i',
> then `i a' and `i C' would probably move to an `I' submap.
> I guess we could let `i C' move to both `I c' and `I C', and
> reserve both `I d' and `I D' for inserting DVDs.
>
> Hmm, what if `I' was a prompt command, like I originally
> suggested (see <address@hidden>), but
> with a twist:  Typing uppercase letters into the prompt
> would be shortcuts to inserting various kinds of tracks.
> So `I C' would immediately insert a CD, and `I A' would
> immediately prompt for an action; that is, they would be
> shortcuts for `I cd RET' and `I action RET'.  (By the way,
> see also <address@hidden>.)
>
> I can't think of any prompt in Emacs in which only some
> characters are electric, so maybe this is a bad idea.

Ah, I see.

A single `i' would be great, f/d/t are provides the same functionality
more or less.  I always thought `i d' and `i t' were proper subsets of
`i f' in terms of what they could do, but I understand the difference
now.  And I'm a fan of always/ask/never customization approach
discussed earlier when it comes to recursive insertion.

`I' for inserting exotic media is a good idea.  I wouldn't invest any
time on an electric prompt, all the completions that were suggested
were short, and I don't think that the commands need that speed.
After all, inserting is not text editing.

That said, an electric prompt could be a cool idea whenever there is a
finite and relatively... localized set of input.  Anyhow, it could not
get more complex than the prompt in ido-mode.

> Oh, another thing that would help is the manual. :-)
>
> Anyway, Joel, thank you for taking the time to document
> your experience and findings and for providing a patch.
> I will look at the problem later if nobody else does.

No problem, working around bugs can be both educational and fun!

> --
> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>
>
> P.S.  I might turn up at Marangoni later.

P.P.S.  Me too.