bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC and audio CD's

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC and audio CD's
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:19:23 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>>   "An alist of insertion commands for `bongo-insertion-dispatcher'.")
>>
>> You should usually elide articles from the start of docstrings.
>
> It is very common in Emacs sources (hundreds of cases).
> Is this mentioned in a style guide somewhere?

I don't know, but I couldn't find any mention of it.

Space is precious in the first line of a docstring, so I
always leave out unneeded articles.  This also saves you
from having to decide whether to use `the' or `an'.

Since articles add nothing of value in this situation,
it is better to always leave them out for consistency.

>>>   (let ((command (cdr (assoc (completing-read "Insert: "
>>>                                               bongo-insertion-commands nil
>>> t)
>>>                              bongo-insertion-commands))))
>>>     (and command (call-interactively command))))
>>
>> I removed the `(and command ...)' check, because I figured
>> it should never fail so it's clearer to just let it blow up.
>> (Let me know if you think this is a mistake.)
>
> It will fail if the user enters an empty string.

You are right, of course.  Sorry!

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>