Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 09:37:22 +0100

On Thu, 2016-09-01 at 21:49 -0500, Brian Mauter wrote:
> Hi, first off, thank you for Denemo.  I’m very impressed with it and
> Lilypond.  It’s been a bit difficult to learn, but now I can enter notes
> rather quickly, and I’m still learning!  Thank you.
>
> Okay, I have a score with a piano staff and a descant staff.  The melody is
> shared with the treble clef of the piano.  I have lyrics for both parts.  I
> have a second voice for the piano treble clef too.  I’d like to add chord
> symbols such that they appear above the descant staff.
>
> If I add edit chord names while on the descant staff, they appear exactly
> where I want them.  However, measures 5 and 6 need new chords on beat 3.
> Since the descant is resting for the whole measure, I can’t put anything
> there, I think.  If I remove the chord names from the descant part and put
> them on the bass clef, the chord names appear above that clef.
>
> I tried adding a staff before the descant and then converting it to a chord
> staff, but that didn’t look right at all.
>
> How can I get those chords above the descant and at all of the proper changes?

There are two examples in Denemo (File->Open Example), one
(LeadSheetNamedChordSymbols.denemo) uses the chord symbols attached to
notes as you have done (Directives->Markings->Chord Symbols)

the other (LeadSheet.denemo) uses a separate staff for the chords.

This second method of entering chords (Staff->Staff Properties->Chord
Symbols (Off/On) gives complete freedom for the rhythm of the chords,
while the first can be persuaded to put more than one chord on a note
with the | as a separator, e.g.

c:m | d:m

would change from c minor to d minor on the note. But it seems limited
to one chord change half way.

(Hmm, I see there is another example in the Open Example directory,
called IndependentChordSymbols.denemo not quite sure why, it probably
has more types of things you can do ...)

I think you will need to use the second way of entering chord symbols
unless you aren't fussy about the spacing.

Let me know if you have a problem.

Richard