Re: [Denemo-devel] chords

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] chords
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 15:04:15 +0100

On Sat, 2016-09-03 at 08:23 -0400, Nathan Stewart wrote:
> I think you can do ties as well if you use note offs.

Yes. In this case however I'm just piggy-backing on the current note
entry system. So, for example if you have several bars of rhythm entered
and you play a chord, the cursor goes back to the start of the rhythm
and enters the chord there.

This problem with entering chords on a tied rhythm is not exactly new to
this filter, it also applies if you are using the sustain pedal or the
ALT key to enter chords. In that case it is a little more gracious as it
fills in the first of the tied chords (and the root note of the others)
so repeating the chord for the tied occurrences is quite pleasant.
I've not looked deeply into what is going on with the new filter entry
method, but my guess is that the continuation onto the other tied notes
happens before the filter gets control back, so you end up filling in
the last of a tied rhythm and would have to work backwards to fill in
the other notes :(

Anyway, if people think this might be useful I'm sure it can be tweaked.
(Alternatively a completely scripted route could be taken, avoiding the
built-in MIDI entry routines altogether).

Richard