Re: quality assurance (was: Re: GNUstep Base 1.11.0)

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: quality assurance (was: Re: GNUstep Base 1.11.0)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:53:08 +0200

Am Samstag, 23.07.05 um 21:32 Uhr schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

How about using the donation money GNUstep got for buying some testing machines which would go into the same place as the GNUstep web servers are and could then be used for testing/developing GNUstep onto some more "exotic" platforms: Some *BSD, some Solaris boxen (be it x86 or SPARC), a Mac (Mac mini should be enough), maybe some HPUX box should be enough for the start. Those machines don't necessarily need to be new hardware, I guess we could get them used somewhere for cheap. Then put them online with special ssh accounts (maybe some VNC too) for the core devs and there you go: compilation and testing is possible remotely for those who need it.

Something else came to my mind: We even would need only one machine per architecture and could than do the rest with virtualization solutions like f.i. Mac on Linux for PPC ( http://www.maconlinux.org/ ): Install Linux on the Box as host system and then run Mac OS X, pure Darwin, Linux, the *BSDs in a virtual environment. This way we could kill (not just) two birds with one stone.

regards, Lars