Re: GNUstep slogan - discussion and voting

From: markjoel60
Subject: Re: GNUstep slogan - discussion and voting
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 04:10:25 -0800 (PST)

hns@computer.org wrote:

> Nokia has used this slogan (tagline) since 15 years to get into our
> heads and straighten the misconception that they make rubber boots...

Well, I think a couple of things here... First off, I am not sure that you
can attribute all of Nokia's success to a tagline. (FWIW, I didn't even know
that was Nokia's tagline...)

Very few taglines really stick. And those that do, USUALLY have been drilled
into our skulls by a billion dollars in advertising.

Clearly an open source project, with absolutely no advertising budget, is in
a different class here.

I DO think that you need to tie what the product does into why a "customer"
wants it.

Something along the lines of "Better Applications... faster", or "For every
developer who's ever asked: What's Next?" or if you want whimsical, how
about "The once and future of computers"

I know this though: No matter what tag line ends up being used 50% of the
group will hate it -- that's about the average. :-D