Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:05:47 +0200

Hi,

Austin Clow wrote:
What would be great if is I could get GNUstep to just install on FreeBSD following the instructions that are posted on the website.

Here: http://www.gnustep.org/resources/sources.html
FreeBSD
cd /usr/ports/devel/gnustep
make install clean

Has never worked for me, it also suggested to me the first time that I tried installing it was that was all I needed to do. But then I learned about all the dependencies that may or may not be installed by using that command, and then I realized that I may never get it to work. Or something like that. So I stopped. I am sure that there are more on that list that have since no longer been able to work with the instructions because of how new distributions of the OS are configured.

20 websites later with various instructions and I still can't get it to work. I am far from a terminal wizard, but there always seems to be a "OH what you need to do is edit the configuration file for q3241q234rqwe on that version of FreeBSD" w.e.
That is another "sad" feedback. "ports" should just install and they did for me. If they don't work, there is probably a mix of a problem between the port maintainer (bug to them) and GNUstep itself Getting these sorted out is time-consuming

I am attracted to the dream of GNUstep, but my dream is clearly not exactly what everyone else is dreaming. I think GNUstep needs some goals and leadership. I know what I would nix first: TRYING TO SUPPORT EVERYTHING and not having the BEST options being default. I mean getting Objective-C 2.0 and Cairo seems like climbing a mountain sometimes. At least it used to… I haven't tried in a while.

Well, except in certain cases, we try to fall back. If you don't have cairo, we will use art, if you don't have art, we will use xlib. I just tried that last week and the fall-back mechanism works. If neither of these three backends works for you, then well you have a major problem you shall better report... or you have something quite misinstalled.

Objective-C 2.0 is absolutely not required! We still compile perfectly with gcc 3.4, I tested last week! However if your system has support for it, it is correct to try to enable it I think!
Binary distributions: A while back, I could not figure out why Ubuntu still had old versions of GNUstep. I had thought somebody upgraded them recently, but when I checked it was not so (at least it appeared not so in PackageManager). So I moved on crying.
I don't use Ubuntu, but often it is just Debian. And Debian packages of GS are something I will not utter words, because they are not just old, they are _criminal_.

I have an old laptop I just for the sake keep tracking a couple of binary GS packages and it is not to lough, but to cry. Not only they are old (with tons of patches to get stuff wrokign in impossible combination of versions of core stuff) but also sometimes broken because of horrible mixes of obj-c libraries, or by not upgrading core libraries (base/gui/back) together and the related apps. A nightmare.

Good instructions for those who know nothing about Unix/Linux world would improve a lot.
True. Perhaps for each system we should have two ways:
1) using "binary packages"
2) building from source

Theoretically, building from source should be all the same, except the initial dependency phase and some configure options.

I think this is something for the Wiki.

Riccardo