Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:13:51 +0100

If one sets a default font for everything in .Xdefaults, or use
for example CDE, KDE (and perhaps Gnome) tools for setting style,
the tooltip will pick up that default font.

I meant a decent setup, not the default.  I once proposed to make the
default font for the tooltips smaller than the one chosen for the
default face, but was told that there are problems to do that with X,
and I don't know enough about X to suggest a solution.

FWIW, my .emacs selects a much smaller font for tooltips.

Yes, but you must be considered a power user.  Most users seem to just
use the tools available in the GUI to select fonts and colours.

The alternative is to have a long tooltip.  Then one has to wait for
the tooltip to appear, shift focus of attention to the tooltip (which
may be on the other side of the screen), and then shift attention back
to the menu.

That's how tooltips work on all GUI platforms I've seen; Emacs just
tries to be compatible here.  (Of course, you have variables to
customize the time delay for pop-up and pop-down, if the defaults
annoy you.)

I still believe that this is not how tooltips for menus work on the
majority of GUI platforms.  Most GUI platforms does not have
tooltips for menus at all.  But I think the "What's this?" approach
explained elsewhere is better.

        Jan D.