Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:43:17 -0400

On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Ken Raeburn wrote:

On Aug 4, 2008, at 08:50, Adrian Robert wrote:
When you say "one-element", you mean it adds the one element to the existing standard dock menu provided by the system, or it replaces it? I'd prefer adding..

It appears that the items of the menu you define get slipped in between the list of windows and the standard set of actions in the menu that pops up.

Cool. I'll rework the patch a little bit (see Yamamoto-san's post) and apply it, maybe tomorrow.

Using the keyboard commands to delete a frame get that result; clicking on buttons with the mouse can make the application go away.

This sounds like a bug. Shouldn't it have the same behavior regardless of whether close from mouse or keyboard?

I'm comfortable enough with the way things have worked for a while that this doesn't seem like an issue to me. The lack of consistency of the new Mac UI with the way the rest of it works does, though. (Well, I haven't checked the Windows version.) If you want to argue that all window-system versions should behave the way the Cocoa port does now, go for it. But unless/until you win that argument, I think the Cocoa port should change.

Sure, the X interface is the prototype we follow. But does the different behavior when kb or mouse to close window seem right to you? Is there some reason for it you can think of? I just want to make sure because it seems strange, and like I say NS port has no specific code handling this right now (should be generic behavior that is seen). (BTW, are you using GTK or non-GTK X?)

A variation I'd be more interested in, though, might be the ability to run window-less.

I agree that it might be nice and that might not be tolerated. I believe Aquamacs and other distributions offer this behavior, and that may be the place for it to stay for now.