Re: Bazaar migration status?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Bazaar migration status?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:46:49 -0400

On Jul 22, 2009, at 17:33, Andreas Schwab wrote:
And if we're publishing (or planning to publish) git repositories with
development work based on the Emacs one?  Rebasing is strongly
discouraged for public repositories.

I was only talking about a one-off rebasing, when migrating from the
current git mirror based on the cvs repo to a future git mirror based on
the bzr repo.

The advice I've seen isn't "don't do it too often", it's "don't do it". The recovery process seems to be a manual one for people downstream from those rebasing. But, I think I can find a way to turn it into a "merge" from one history to another for most of my more interesting branches. It might not be *too* horrible for downstream.

(For that matter, I was "only" talking about a one-off project to make the new bzr-based git history at savannah look as though it was continuing on from the old cvs-based git history.)

Ken