Re: Bazaar migration status?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Bazaar migration status?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:19:43 +0100

On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:31 AM, Ken Raeburn wrote:

And if we're publishing (or planning to publish) git repositories with development work based on the Emacs one? Rebasing is strongly discouraged for public repositories.

Indeed. I also don't see how tags (e.g. versions) are supposed to work or be recreated if you just rebase several months worth of changes as if they happened much later.

I would think that rebasing also gets very complicated if changes are interleaved so that patches don't apply cleanly on top of a single revision.

>give it existing revisions as starting points and mirror only newer stuff on top of the >old mirror... aside from needing to figure out what the mirroring scripts are keeping >track of and adjust that data, it seems like basically the same work as you're >suggesting anyone using git downstream should do for themselves.

Exactly.

On the other hand, if the mirror ever needed reconstructing from scratch, it might not be easily reproducible.)

I think that's unlikely - rather one would go back to a backup in the case of corruption.