[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner task syntax

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner task syntax
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:58:47 -0400

Torsten Anders <address@hidden> writes:

> Can I create arbitrary tags (i.e. tags possibly not yet supported by
> some planner extension)? For example, I would like to record an

Sure! Task descriptions are pretty much free text.

> #B _ some test {{Est: 3h}}
> .. I may later even write myself some planner extension to evaluate
> such figures (say, accumulate how much time I estimated to finish on a
> certain day..)

You certainly can, although it's already been done, so you don't have
to reinvent the wheel. See planner-schedule.el . ^_^

(Isn't that just freaky? <laugh>)

> I see, it should not create a task ID by hand. Still, can I have
> some arbitrarily named 'partner' page name and can I manually enter
> that like
> #B _ some test [[May.2006]]

You can use M-x planner-replan-task or M-x planner-copy-or-move-task
(C-c C-c) to add a link to a plan page, or specify the plan page when
you create it. If you really want to type this manually,

#B _ some test ([[May.2006]])

and then call M-x planner-update-task to copy the task to the linked page.

Also, your May.2006-style plan pages make me think of planner-zoom.el,
which has just been contributed. See if
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.wiki.general/5419 strikes a
chord. =)

> Besides, having multiple related pages would be interesting for me.
> Unfortunately, I didn't got that working. Do I simply add multiple
> links to the end of the task like

Load planner-multi and do the same thing you do to add regular links.

> BTW: the doc introduces the function
> planner-multi-copy-tasks-to-page', but that seems not to exist on my
> planner.

Load planner-multi with

(require 'planner-multi)

in your ~/.emacs. =)

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source, free software geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, public speaking