Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:50:51 +0900

Dear Sirs,

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:11:15 +0900
address@hidden wrote:
>Fix A:
>       FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() is kept for QuickDraw.
>       Add FT_GetFile_From_ATS_Name() for ATS.
>       To avoid "XXX is deprecated" warning,
>       FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() should be excluded in building.
>
>Fix B:
>       Change the behaviour of FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name()
>       as system-dependent. If configured for ATS only,
>       it will be incompatible with QuickDraw configuration.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:34:52 +0200 (CEST)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>Since I don't use a Mac, I have no opinion.  Hopefully, others can
>comment.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:32:39 -0400
"Sean McBride" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Well, I don't even use freetype (except via vtk) so I'm not sure my
>opinion is important, but I think A sounds better.

Mr. Sean McBride and Mr. Werner LEMBERG, Thank you for comments.
I attach 2 patch of this issue.

migrate_fsspec2fsref.patch
        This patch changes src/base/ftmac.c to use FSRef at maximum,
        if TARGET_API_MAC_OS9 is not defined. Originally written by
        Mr. George Williams and slightly modified by me.

migrate_qdfm2ats.patch
        This patch adds FT_GetFile_From_Mac_ATS_Name() in
        src/base/ftmac.c, which is an AppleTypeService-based
        replacement of QuickDraw based FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name(),
        written by me. If "HAVE_QUICKDRAW" is set to false on the
        future Mac OS X system without QuickDraw,
        FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() is changed to a function that
        returns error always. If "HAVE_ATS" is set to false on old
        system without ATS, FT_GetFile_From_Mac_ATS_Name() will be
        a function that returns error always.

        Also a patch for configure.ac is attached to set HAVE_QUICKDRAW
        and HAVE_ATS automatically, if --with-old-mac-fonts=yes.

At present, yet I've not finished macro hooking for MPW,
ProjectBuilder, Xcode and CodeWarriror.

By the way, thinking of ATS patch is written to remove deprecated
function, the 2nd argument of FT_GetFile_From_Mac_ATS_Name() should
be FSRef, than FSSpec? The current API is designed to be same with
FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name(), for programmers' convenience.
But, FSSpec is deprecated data type, so I should propose different
function using no deprecated data? For example:

        FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name( const char*  fontName,
                                  FSRef*       pathRef,
                                  FT_Long*     face_index)

# yet I'm not sure if the idea of "face" fits ATS font model.

Mr. Sean McBride (and anybody interested in this issue),
how do you think of?

Regards,
mpsuzuki