RE: [ft-devel] Porting Free Type on 8 Bit platform!

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Porting Free Type on 8 Bit platform!
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:31:34 +0200

In theory, FreeType should work on 16-bit platforms, but
this hasn't been officially verified for a very long time.

However, I don't know of any 8-bit platform that is capable
of dealing with, say, memory-mapped files or heap blocks
that are larger than, say, 64 Kb, and this ability is
required to support certain fonts which require very
large allocations.

I have great doubt that an 8-bit micro-controller would be
able to support TrueType fonts to the full extend of the
specification (how would you handle multi-megabytes CJK
fonts for example).

I'd love to be wrong though.

- David Turner