RE: [ft-devel] Porting Free Type on 8 Bit platform!

From: Kiran Mahajan
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Porting Free Type on 8 Bit platform!
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:34:27 +0530

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 10:31 +0200, Turner, David wrote:
> In theory, FreeType should work on 16-bit platforms, but
> this hasn't been officially verified for a very long time.
>
> However, I don't know of any 8-bit platform that is capable
> of dealing with, say, memory-mapped files or heap blocks
> that are larger than, say, 64 Kb, and this ability is
> required to support certain fonts which require very
> large allocations.
yes it would be difficult or not possible to port whole freetype engine
on 8 bit due to memory shortage but what you say about customized form
of it? means i want to say that freetype having support of such fonts
like BDF which are small.

> I have great doubt that an 8-bit micro-controller would be
> able to support TrueType fonts to the full extend of the
> specification (how would you handle multi-megabytes CJK
> fonts for example).
can u tell me, if possible, how much resources freetype requires?

--
Thanks and Regards!!

Kirankumar S. Mahajan
Project Engineer(Embedded Systems)

GIST group,
Center for Development of Advanced Computing,
Pune.
eMail: address@hidden
Ph. No.: (020) 25694000 Extn: 223