Re: [ft-devel] Porting Free Type on 8 Bit platform!

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Porting Free Type on 8 Bit platform!
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:42:29 +0900

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:34:27 +0530
Kiran Mahajan <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 10:31 +0200, Turner, David wrote:
>> In theory, FreeType should work on 16-bit platforms, but
>> this hasn't been officially verified for a very long time.
>>
>> However, I don't know of any 8-bit platform that is capable
>> of dealing with, say, memory-mapped files or heap blocks
>> that are larger than, say, 64 Kb, and this ability is
>> required to support certain fonts which require very
>> large allocations.
>yes it would be difficult or not possible to port whole freetype engine
>on 8 bit due to memory shortage but what you say about customized form
>of it? means i want to say that freetype having support of such fonts
>like BDF which are small.

I think, saying just "8 bit platform" is insufficient to ask further.
Could you give us example of 8 bit platform system which is similar
to your target? There are UNIX like OS for Z80 (e.g. UZI, UZIX),
CP/M families etc etc. In fact, on 8 bit platform, the programming
model, function calling convention, compilers etc would effect the
size of program.

Regards,
mpsuzuki