gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Steering Committee nominations

From: Benjamin Kosnik
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Steering Committee nominations
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:55:07 -0600

>> IMVHO, we should try to exclude active GDB maintainers from the
>> committee.  Given the fallout from the incident(s) that led to these
>> discussions, I think the committee's membership should be as remote
>> as possible from any doubts regarding their objectivity; including
>> people some of whom were involved in the kind of personal conflicts
>> that led to this would go against that, IMHO.
>
>I see where you are coming from, but I think that the steering
>committee does need to have some people paying close attention to the
>direction that the gdb source code is taking.  I think it would be
>hard to do that with no regular gdb maintainers at all.

I agree. I think gdb maintainers should be allowed on the GDB steering
committee.

>I admit that I don't know how to reconcile the two positions.

What other free software projects have steering committees? The two I
know of are gcc and glibc.

For glibc:
Mark Brown, Paul Eggert, Andreas Jaeger, Jakub Jelinek, Roland McGrath
and Andreas Schwab

At least four of these people are active contributors (out of six).

For gcc:
Per Bothner, Joe Buck, David Edelsohn, Kaveh R. Ghazi, Torbjorn
Granlund, Jeffrey A. Law, Marc Lehmann, Jason Merrill, David Miller,
Mark Mitchell, Toon Moene, Gerald Pfeifer, Joel Sherrill, Jim Wilson

At least nine or ten of these people are active contributors (out of fourteen).

So, it seems as if there is precedent for letting maintainers on the
steering committee.

-benjamin

ps. I would like to see other nominations, especially from the
current maintainers, and from other GNU projects that don't reflect the
GNU/Linux and C++ application space.