Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Cyrille Dunant
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:17:55 +0200

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 15.08:09 Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> > I'm quite happy that development in glob2 takes places.
> > I don't like the idea of focusing the development.
> > I don't have the impression that the current work is diffusing.
> > If someone believes that the perfect engine is a good thing and wants
> > to program it, I won't stop him.
> > If our users demand better campaings, we should put this on the todo
> > list and get the word out that we want some.
>
> I don't say we should slow-down with the core engine. Yet Glob2 has a bad
> tradition of people rewriting the core engine alone, disconnected from the
> community, that leave afterwards. This leads to the next generation redoing
> the same thing.
>
> I don't want to refrain the motivation of anyone, but we should try to work
> on the game side too, to make the game lovely to contribute to.
>
> Some times ago, I added the ability to the old map edit to skin the units.
> The new map edit does not implement this possibility. This is frustrating.
> While this may look like a toy feature, but it allows for ambiance
> customization (the idea was to have wild animals in the solo campaign).
>
> Steph

If we happened to completely stop all engine development now (say, save for
the bugfixing, be it at the price of hacks) An wrote really nice gfx and maps
and campaigns, we would actually produce an infinitely better game than with
a perfect engine with no game around.

Yes I _am_ saying the rewrites are _worthless_ In fact, they have a negative
worth.

What has a positive worth is a (finished) rewrite conducive to more features
_in_the_game_. otherwise it was a loss of time for everyone except the coder,
who presumably had fun.

case in point: anyone plays stratagus?

--
-- Cyrille Dunant
-- EPFL-IMX-LMC

   Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!