Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Cyrille Dunant
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:10:11 +0200

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 17.06:29 Robert Martin wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Ha! what are the odds! when obviously The Coders care for nothing about
> > > the other work.
> >
> > I think we have quite some mails in the list of coders who want to
> > transfer maps by hand if necessary.  Anyone here welcomes work done
> > anywhere in glob2.
> > Well exept you.
> > I don't reply of the rest of the mail.
> > There was no information in the rest of your mail anyway - only a lot
> > of aggression.
> > And I don't understand how anyone here could be the cause of it.
> > I was about to congratulate us of the fine and hard work this month.
> > Doing the releases, tests, bugfixing, wiki-rewriting, animations and
> > repositorial change while some core rewriting takes place is incredible.
> > And don't forget the two servers we changed.
> > Hopefully this will not again turn out to become a flame thread.
> >
> > --
> > Kai Antweiler

> things i can see that would make a better Game
>
> 1 the map should not in any way shape or form "wrap around" {--- this
> i would consider to be a massive bug (right now the far north becomes
> the far south east becomes west)

Actually, I consider that a feature: it is one of the unique aspects of glob.

> 2 the maps seem to be very small (this may have changed recently
> but...) you should be able to fit a swarm/ pool/school/ barracks in
> without having to clear land

Large maps are longer to make...

> 3 when you are building a wall run the whole section should be
> considered as one "building"
> you lay eight sections in a row then you should be able to have 3
> workers build the whole row

It is one stone per section, thus, you could argue that having the wall built
section after section mimicks the building of an actual wall.

> 4 I would have as a variant of scout a "oracle" unit -- this unit
> would cause the window to expand out (say 2 "oracle" units get you a
> double window) but i would also add a required energy tower and add to
> the defense tower a way to shoot down hostile oracles (note this would
> not clear Fog of War you would just be able to see a larger local
> area)

You mean change the resolution with units ?

--
-- Cyrille Dunant
-- EPFL-IMX-LMC

   Once, adv.: