[Gnu-arch-users] Re: project hosts, also "truenames"

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: project hosts, also "truenames"
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:44:33 +0900

    >> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
    >> archive

    Tom> Hmmm.  Other structures are certainly both possible and
    Tom> preferable.

    >> Uh-huh.  savannah.gnu.org, for example?  [ritual burning of the
    >> strawman elided]

    Tom> Did I say anything about savannah?  No.  It's essentially the
    Tom> same structure as sourceforge.

You didn't.  I did.

Do you think it's an accident that Savannah looks like SourceForge, or
that arch is hosted there?  I don't think either is.  For the near
future, I don't think there's going to be much alternative to
integrated project hosting, and there are probably substantial
efficiencies to be got from mega-hosts like Savannah and SourceForge.
In particular, developers like you who are sick of the unreliability
of ISPs and colocs and WimpModems[tm] and volunteer archive hosts are
going to jump at the chance to have a stable platform.

And SourceForge, at least, provides a lot of spokes from the central
CVS hub: mailing lists, archives, compile farm, home page.  I have to
suspect that centralized management of such a collection of resources,
and the data interchange among them, is efficient compared to having
projects randomly seeking out those resources.

Arch by itself is only one of several large technical innovations that
need to be made to achieve the decentralized distributed model you
suggest.  It's going to be a while.  In the meantime, I think arch
should look at how to present its advantages in the integrated context.