Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparato

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory work
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:46:37 +0900

    Miles> Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:

    >> My growing feeling about this is that if any apps or wrappers
    >> do, they are buggy.  You want to find the tree root?  Use "tla
    >> tree-root".  Want to find out the tagging method?  "tla
    >> tagging-method".  See all the patch logs? "tla logs --merges".

    Miles> Wanna do something else?  Ha ha, you lose!

So?  That's a bug in the current implementation, isn't it?  Not in the
basic idea.

    Miles> If this change goes in, there should be some apropriate tla
    Miles> command, like

   $ tla tree-special-file
   {arch}
   $ tla tree-special-file FILE
   {arch}/FILE

Exactly!  Except I think it should return canonicalized absolute
paths; it's bloody annoying to save such a return value and then do a
cd (perhaps implicitly, say by switching buffers in Emacs) and get the
wrong thing.  And "tla tree-root" could be deprecated in favor of

$ tla tree-special-file ..

:-)

I think it would also be useful to have "tla meta-data", which takes
the same arguments (ie, file names) but gets their contents.  In both
cases, with the --user flag, it would look in ~/.arch-params, not in
`tla tree-root`/{arch}.  The default would be the --tree flag.  Ie,

$ tla special-file --tree =tagging-method
/home/steve/wd/dists--devo--1.0--patch-2/src/tla/{arch}/=tagging-method
$ tla meta-data --user =default-archive
address@hidden
$

'Course, this would piss off the zsh users no end if we deprecated the
equivalent direct commands at the same time.