Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:52:20 +0200

Hi,

Am Freitag, 21. April 2006 13:12 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:

> Peter Conrad <address@hidden> writes:
> > any software should be targeting its users' needs, not the political
> > goals of the supporting organization.
>
> Well, whether you like it or not, the GNU project _is_ political.

that's fine with me. What I don't like is if political goals
lead to software that is less useful.

> > Hard links are an optimization. tla works (or could work) fine
> > without them.
>
> Right, but this optimization has a significant impact on performance.

For projects above a certain size, yes.

> Right, the archive format could probably be modified to be less
> demanding on path length.
>
> That said, this really is a limitation, I'd even say a flaw, of the
> underlying OS.

Agreed. However, very few programs have a problem with that
limitation *in practice*.

> You wouldn't want to worry about 8.3 file names for
> instance, would you?

You have to balance cost against usefulness. If 8.3 filenames
were the limit on today's windows, the usefulness of sticking
to the limit would probably outweigh the cost.

Since 8.3 filenames are not very common today, I wouldn't
worry about it.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany