Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:08:55 +0200

   >    Stow is small and reliant on Perl.  If the goal is to write
   >    our own, why not do it now?
   >
   >If someone wants to do that, it would be great.  It is not a small
   >job, though.

   Good job for Marco.. ;-P

You can do it, when we decided about details and such.

   If we are now wrapping the meta-data into the tarballs, someone
   must repackage them with that information correct?

This will either be done by the packager (the person who makes the
package Makefile), or done automagicly by a system that builds
packages and uploads them to some fixed point, this would be done when
a file in the ports repositor is touched in anyway.

   If I was more of a hacker, I'd start on stowfs today...

stowfs should I think wait until we have a system that is semi-usable.
Then we can worry about improving things.