Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:10:17 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:

Stow is small and reliant on Perl. If the goal is to write our own, why not do it now?

If someone wants to do that, it would be great.
It is not a small job, though.

Good job for Marco.. ;-P

So the the tarballs now contain the binary "application" and the metadata? So we must re-create every tarball?

I don't quite understand that statement.  When you say "re-create
every tarball", who are you referring to, and for what job?
Who would have to recreate them, and in what situations?

If we are now wrapping the meta-data into the tarballs, someone must repackage them with that information correct?

* pull the pax file which contains the package and the metadata (relationships, install paths for stow, pre/post scripts??) * the package gets dumped to packagefs which automagically creates the appropriate symlinks

That might be more or less what I was suggesting.

If I was more of a hacker, I'd start on stowfs today... :-( Be that as it may, I want to read more into Alfred's suggestions and will get back shortly.

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.