Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:56:47 -0400

    For compatibility reasons, these symlinks should be provided:

    /bin -> /usr/bin
    /sbin -> /usr/sbin
    (/hurd -> /usr/hurd? -- see above)

    and probably also

    /share -> /usr/share
    /include -> /usr/include

    but not

    /src -> /usr/src
    /local -> /usr/local

I think you're suggesting that the translator apply automatically
to all directores one level down from / that are symlinks to subdirs
of /usr.  Is that the idea?

Maybe that will work, but I tend to think it is too inflexible, and
maybe unreliable too.  We can easily enough specify the list of
directories that should be handled.  How to do that is just a detail,
so let's not spend more time on it now.