Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Soeren D. Schulze
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:37:57 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     For compatibility reasons, these symlinks should be provided:
>
>     /bin -> /usr/bin
>     /sbin -> /usr/sbin
>     (/hurd -> /usr/hurd? -- see above)
>
>     and probably also
>
>     /share -> /usr/share
>     /include -> /usr/include
>
>     but not
>
>     /src -> /usr/src
>     /local -> /usr/local
>
> I think you're suggesting that the translator apply automatically
> to all directores one level down from / that are symlinks to subdirs
> of /usr.  Is that the idea?

No, it is not.

I suggested the translator would be on /usr, not on /, and /bin, /sbin,
/hurd, etc. would be symlinks on /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/hurd, etc.

The list of directories will probably not change frequently, so we do
not have to automize this.

What I wrote about /usr/src and /usr/local may be confusing -- they
will not exist any more because they are not controlled by the
translator.
I think /var would be the right place for them.

Soeren Schulze