Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:42:53 +0200 (CEST)

      GNU/Linux _is_ a GNU system, no matter what we do we will never
      be vastly different to warrent anyone to switch over just
      because it is GNU.  If we can be different, I'd like to hear
      those ideas with a explanation why it cannot be added to Linux,
      Solaris, ...

   I can tell you what is my idea about this. My interest in having a
   GNU kernel for the GNU operating system has nothing to do with
   technical aspects, but with polithics.

I simply want GNU; in a shape that I can with a easy heart recommend
to my peers and family.

   Linux is released under the terms of the GPL version 2, and it seems
   that the Solaris kernel will be released under the terms of the GPL
   version 3. That is: free kernels. But the FSF may need to write a new
   version of the GPL in the future to face new problems. Will torvalds
   or SUN switch to that new license?

If it was that simple, then we should stop using X and TeX, I don't
trust the Open Group or Knuth.  Infact, I don't even trust the FSF,
that is why I am happy over the language in the copyright assignments.

But the fact is that Linux is free software, and will always be free
software, and that is all that matters.