Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:20:04 +0200

      Linux is released under the terms of the GPL version 2, and it seems
      that the Solaris kernel will be released under the terms of the GPL
      version 3. That is: free kernels. But the FSF may need to write a new
      version of the GPL in the future to face new problems. Will torvalds
      or SUN switch to that new license?

   If it was that simple, then we should stop using X and TeX, I don't
   trust the Open Group or Knuth.

In fact, it is not as simple as you readed it.

I was talking _specifically_ about Linux, not about the programs you
mentioned. Such a generalization of a concept applied to a concrete
program came from you, not from me.

We actually have a project for write a GNU kernel, and it is partially
written. We dont have projects writing replacements for TeX or
XWindow.

Typesetting systems and graphics libraries are not kernels. Just an
example: try to make tivoization (that turn free software into
non-free software) with TeX or a windowing system: you would be unable
to force it since users could adapt the underlying kernel to satisfy
the malicious demands of the hardware.

Non-free kernels are quite dangerous. And Tivoization makes Linux
non-free in the practice. If Linux were a GNU package, it would be
GPLv3 by now.

   But the fact is that Linux is free software, and will always be free
   software, and that is all that matters.

Now _that_ is simple. Following you reasoning it is a waste of time to
upgrade GNU programs to GPLv3. These are free software with GPLv2 and
will always be free software, and that is all that matters

Ouch!!, I just generalized your statement. It is so tempting... please
ignore the above paragraph ;)