Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: Jay Sulzberger
Subject: Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:49:46 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Stanley A. Klein wrote:

> At 06:47 AM 2/8/2003 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> >    If we go the press will report what we say.  Some reporters may partly
> fall
> >    for some Microsoft lies, but if we do not go, almost every reporter will
> >    present the worst, stupidest, and most vicious Microsoft lies as being
> >    "simply the facts".
> >
> >It is important to go to the event to correct the falsehoods, but at
> >the same time we must also cast doubt on the legitimacy of the event.
> >For people who think that "Linux" World reflects what our movement is
> >about, the simple fact that they invite Microsoft is a statement much
> >louder than ours.  How exactly to do this, I am not sure.
> >
> >The tendency for events that pretend to be part of our community to
> >betray its spirit is very harmful, and we have to push back against
> >it.  I wish we could push back much harder than we have done in the
> >past.
>

> Are you suggesting that in order for the conference to be legitimate a
> university and a conference committee that includes several government
> employees should deny a speaker from Microsoft the right to present the
> Microsoft position in debate before an audience almost guaranteed to be
> packed with active competitors and adversaries of Microsoft?

Of course.  Many government agencies and organizations are required by law
not to use Microsoft products for three reasons:

1. No second source.

2. Microsoft's conviction under antitrust laws.

3. Their products are radically inferior.

> Can you imagine for a moment the uproar and political firestorm that would
> result from such a situation?

Why should we worry?  Government agencies continue to violate both statute
law and adminstrative law by buying source secret systems.

Microsoft does not invite us to their meetings, and I have yet to hear of
any "firestorms", which by your logic, should have erupted every week for
the past ten years, at least.