Re: [h-e-w] Registry and installation scripts

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Registry and installation scripts
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 14:14:36 +0100

Dr Francis J Wright wrote:

The GNU Emacs source code will be freely available for the foreseeable
future.  So, even if various precompiled, prepackaged versions are
available, it will always be possible to compile from source and ignore the
packaging.
Right. There are several installers out there, but I know Lennart has written his installer (which is the one that is likely to become part of the official distribution after 22.1 is released) to work with the official packages, not to replace them. I don't see this changing in future, even if/when the installer becomes part of the official Emacs distribution.